Jun 25, 2007

Desperation and urgency

Disclaimer: I am associated with a coffee franchise.

Couldn't believe it when a colleague forwarded me an email that a competing coffee company is circulating amongst it's prospective franchisees.

There are many ways to create urgency in the sales process. The example below is not one of them. In an era of increasing transparency and being genuine in how you work with prospective clients or customers, it's frightening to see that some people still resort to essentially shouting to get their point across. Unfortunately for them (and maybe fortunately for us?), it just sounds desperate:

Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 08:50:05 -0400
From: Maui Wowi Hawaiian
Reply-To: Maui Wowi Hawaiian
Subject: A Maui Wowi Call to Action!!

A MAUI WOWI CALL TO ACTION!!
Let me warn you that this is a strong e-mail! Delete it if you can't handle the truth.

I know you are thinking about changing your life. You told us so when you asked for more information from Maui Wowi Hawaiian Coffees & Smoothies. So why haven't you responded to our calls and e-mails?
FEAR? Fear that we are going to sell you something? Fear that you are going to look foolish or make a mistake? Trust me, we grant franchises which allow the use of our brand and business operations only to those who match the profile of our most successful franchisees.

As someone who has started his own business, I _KNOW_ the fear and anxiety of starting one's own business. The perceived risk is sometimes overwhelming. I will also tell you that my decision to own my own business changed the life of my family. No longer do we have to worry about every dollar we spend, no longer do I worry about retirement and no longer do I live in fear of not being able to provide for my loved ones! I control my own destiny!

Are you going to be sitting on your DEATH BED saying, "I wish"?
Hello! Newsflash! YOU ARE NOT GOING TO WIN THE LOTTERY!!!!!

What are you going to retire on? What are you going to leave your kids? What mark are you going to make on the world! You are not satisfied now or you would not be looking for something new!

Another reason is ANXIETY. Often times one comes up with a multitude of reasons not to investigate further: 'I am looking for a business for next year', 'The kids are too small, maybe later', 'I am just too busy right now', 'I am up for a big promotion and hopefully (key word) a raise' 'Let me ask my friends first and see what they think!' - and a million other reasons to not take action to pursue owning their own business.

Look, you have been getting e-mails and calls from us for a week which you have ignored after you sent us a request for information.

GET OFF YOUR BUTT, FILL OUT THE CONFIDENTIAL QUESTIONNAIRE AND TAKE A LOOK! NOT LATER, NOT TOMORROW, NOT NEXT WEEK... STOP MAKING EXCUSES AND PROCRASTINATING... DO IT RIGHT NOW! IT IS GOING TO TAKE YOU 5 MINUTES! IT IS FREE AND YOU MAY JUST LIKE THE FREEDOM, CONTROL AND POWER THAT OWNING A MAUI WOWI HAWAIIAN COFFEES & SMOOTHIES FRANCHISE OFFERS!

This is the last e-mail you are going to receive from us. It's up to you to change your life for the better. IF NOT NOW, WHEN?

It's time,
Michael Haith, CEO
Maui Wowi Hawaiian Coffees & Smoothies

1 comment:

cblukens said...

I'd dump these people, after this email, in a heartbeat. Glad you're on the other side - more for you...